My mom and Steve are planning on moving up to this area soon. That means they are selling the house I grew up in. I'm not attached to the house nor am I sad that they are selling it. But, last night I lay in bed thinking about the memories I have there. Of course, there are WAY too many to write about here, but for some reason, last night I was thinking specifically about memories of the big, walk-in closet in Us 3's room.
That closet was a special place. I think it felt extra cozy and provided a little getaway from our big family. I remember Us 3 would make lists of outfits and tape them to the wall in the little nook in the closet and we'd go sit back there and get ready. The details are a little fuzzy...I don't quite know what we did, but I remember the feeling. It was a feeling of order and calm sitting back there in that little nook, executing whatever "plan" Us 3 had come up with.
I also remember sitting in the closet late at night, chatting (often fighting) on my cell phone with my boyfriend at the time (and racking up some pretty big cell phone bills). The closet was the one private retreat in the whole house.
Other memories include having my guinea pig run around in there...his own place of freedom. I also remember thinking that there was someone living in the attic (there was an access portal to the attic in the closet). We were convinced of this because a mysterious necklace showed up on Brenna's bed...and a pair of stretch pants mysteriously appeared. Also, my mom had heard loud thumps once or twice in the middle of the night that couldn't be explained ANY other way. There MUST have been someone living in the attic. We were pretty freaked out...
I also remember my attempts at cleaning and organizing the closet. Wooo Boy! Us 3 were paper hoarders...we had binders and folders and stacks of paper everywhere. The closet was also filled with books, toys, clothes, knick knacks, etc. You name it! So, occasionally, we would try to organize it, which involved pulling things off the shelf. Usually, half way through the task, it would seem SO daunting as the piles of STUFF stared back at us and we would need to have it all cleaned up before the weekend was through.
I still like going into the closet and just looking around. I remember doing that as I was growing up, too...there is always something bound to catch your attention or provide entertainment if you look around long enough. I think it was kind of motivating/inspiring to look around the closet. If I was bored, I could stand in the closet and something would jump out at me to do...at the very least, I would be inspired to organize it!
Interesting how I can have so many vivid memories and emotions tied to a closet...I hadn't ever thought of it before, but it kept me up for at least an hour last night as I thought about these fun memories :)
1 comment:
oh sissy, such great memories in The Closet and our whole room upstairs! So lucky to have shared a room for 18 years with you guys. Love you!
Post a Comment