Monday, November 19, 2012

Faith

This past week, I learned that one of Brenna's friend's daughter had aspirated a kidney bean. After several days of tense waiting, the 18 month old is now on life support to maintain her organs for donating. When I first heard about the accident, I was filled with horror and sadness. As the days went on, the mom, Sarah made a few blog and Facebook posts that were incredibly inspiring. Her faith is amazing

I often contemplate what it would look like to have faith during incredibly trying times like that. It never made sense to me to have faith that God would heal or fix whatever is wrong, because obviously bad things happen to even the most faithful. So what does it mean to have faith during challenging times? Well, I wish I had an easy answer to that. I know it involves having faith in God's greater plan...but I don't fully know what that means or feels like. But, I do know that I saw it in Sarah over the past few days. She had faith in Gods greater plan and is at peace knowing that her sweet baby girl is now in the arms of God. She is in a perfect place and doesn't have to experience this imperfect world.

There are a few people who I've encountered who truly let Gods light shine through them and who have helped solidify certain "lessons" in my mind and change the way I look at things (one of them was Joel's grandma who had so much faith and was celebrating the fact that her time on earth was almost up. She was so excited to go meet Jesus!). Even though I've only met Sarah once, she has taught me a lesson that has tweaked the way I think about faith and has gotten me one more step closer to understanding what it means to have faith in life's darkest moments.

So, I'm hugging Ben extra close and thanking God for every minute of joy he brings to Joel and I. I pray that Sarah and Darren continue to have peace and strength for the long road of healing ahead of them. God is good.

1 comment:

Kirsten Dahlhauser said...

heartbreaking!:(

I feel the same way about my friend here at work who had a double mastectomy a few months ago and has always been so positive about the entire situation. She even joked about it last week at an event. She lost her mother to cancer when she was a young girl and she is never down or negative. So inspiring!